Used Car Dealer Class I, II, III Licenses are issued by the Westfield License Commission and are governed by the Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 57-59. It takes approximately four to six weeks to process licenses.
There are three different types of car dealer licenses:
- Class I for new car dealers
- Class II for used car dealers, and
- Class III for junk/salvage car dealers
Click here for the Massachusetts General Law description of the license class.
Please note that if applying for a Class II used car dealer license you will need a surety bond in the amount of $25,000.00 or a certificate of deposit or irrevocable letter of credit, as authorized by the State of Massachusetts.
A Dealer's Guide to: The MA Used Vehicle Warranty Law
Used Car Dealer Class I, II, III, are valid January 1st to December 31st and renewed annually.
Annual Fee of $200.00 check made out to the City of Westfield.
Be prepared to provide the following attachments as part of your initial application:
- Floor Plan (may be hand drawn) on 8 1/2" x 11" size paper only, showing the proposed capacities and layout of the premises.
- Business Certificate, either:
- Stamped Articles of Organization, if a Corporation. LLC Agreement if a Limited Liability Company. Partnership Agreement if a Partnership; or
- A Business Certificate or D/B/A certificate from the City Clerk's Office, 2nd Floor of City Hall (413-572-6259)
- A signed lease or letter of intent. Criminial Record Information Form(s) for the owner(s) of the business, manager and each employee.
- Proof of Worker's Compensation if there are employees