How Much Water is Wasted with only a Small Leak?
: Most of the city has pressure greater than 60 psi so the leakage would be greater. It is surprising how much water a leaking toilet or hose can waste.
- Cover your swimming pool when not in use; this will reduce loss of water through evaporation.
- Don’t let the water run while brushing your teeth.
- Don’t use your garden hose for cleaning off the driveway – clean the driveway with a broom or leaf blower.
- If you wash dishes by hand, use two bowls or basins – one for washing and one for rinsing. Don’t let water run while washing dishes.
- Only run your washing machine and dishwasher when they are fully loaded.
- Replacing your old toilet with a new water saver toilet (1.6 gallon per flush) can save a lot of water over an older toilet that uses approximately 3.6 gallons per flush.
- Use low-flow shower heads that use approximately 2.5 gallons per minute.
Water Costs Money, Don't Waste It