Apply for a Permit

Submitting Applications to the Conservation Commission

The Wetlands Protection Act requires two hard copies of all documents be submitted to the local Conservation Commission. In an effort to save paper, the Westfield Commission requests they receive one hard copy of all documents when those documents are also electronically submitted via email. If you are unable to submit applications digitally, then please submit two hard copies.

You must also send one copy of all documents to:

The Department of Environmental Protection
Western Region
Wetlands Division
436 Dwight Street
Springfield, MA 01103

At its discretion, the commission may request an applicant to submit seven hard copies of materials and/or digital submittal of project information, and further, may request an applicant to present plans and accompanying materials via multimedia methods such as using computers, smart boards and/or large screen projectors. This request applies to large scale projects only.

Hearing Dates and Deadlines for Conservation Meetingsundefined Opens in new window


WPA Form 1: Requests for Determination of Applicability (RDA)
Allows an applicant to learn if M.G.L. c. 131, § 40 applies to the work or land that may affect Areas Subject to Protection, prior to filing a Notice of Intent (NOI). For small scale projects, the Commission will typically accept an RDA, with conditions, and require no filing of an NOI.

WPA Form 3: Wetlands Notice of Intent
Once it is determined that M.G.L. c. 131, § 40 applies to the work or land using an RDA, or it is pre-determined based upon knowledge of site location in reference to the Area Subject to Protection, a Notice of Intent is required to remove, dredge, fill, or alter the wetland and receive a permit (called an Order of Conditions). 

WPA Form 4: Abbreviated Notice of Intent (ANOI)
Simplifies the filing requirements for projects with limited impacts to Areas Subject to Protection. This form can be used only when the work is within the Buffer Zone, Land Subject to Flooding, or the Riverfront Area and the work will disturb less than 1,000 square feet of surface area within the prior stated areas and the work does not require a Department of Army permit or a Chapter 91 Waterways license.

WPA Form 4A: Abbreviated Notice of Resource Area Delineation (ANRAD)
Helps the applicant to confirm the boundaries (delineation) of a Bordering Vegetated Wetland.

WPA Form 8a: Request for Certificate of Compliance
Upon completion of a project, a Certificate of Compliance is issued from the Commission if all Conditions were met. The application is required to start the approval process.

All other wetland permitting forms can be found and instructions can be found on the  MA DEP website.