Fuel Storage Licensing

Fuel Storage Licensing

A Fuel Storage License is granted by the City Council after approval from the Fire Department and a Public Hearing. 

A license is granted by the City Council and recorded in the office of the City Clerk. From the time of its granting by the licensing authority, a license is deemed a grant attached to the land. A license is not a personal privilege. 

A certificate of registration must be filed annually on or before April thirtieth by the owner/occupant of the land who holds (exercises) the license. The City Clerk's Office sends renewal forms to each landowner with a fuel storage license on April 1st annually

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 148, Section 13 establishes the procedure under which local licensing authorities may grant licenses for the combustibles and explosives on the land. City clerks are required to maintain records of licenses that have been granted. Licenses must provide particulars on the license in such detail that the quantity of material, any restrictions imposed on storage and the location of the licensed land will always be a matter of public record. 

Requirements for Installation of Storage Tanks (New applicants and/or additional storage)

1. Fill out Fuel Storage Application 
2. Request an abutters list from the Assessor's Office 
(Abutters for storage tanks are all who touch the property and also directly across the street.)
3. Provide a plot plan showing the tanks’ location in relation to the street and other buildings on the property. Tanks must be at least 15 feet from any building and 25 feet from any street/highway. 
4. If any present tanks are being removed from the premises, that must be noted in the application. 
5. Completed application with payment is sent to the City Council who will have the Clerk advertise for Public Hearing at the earliest practicable date. Advertisement regarding the Public Hearing must be advertised in paper at least seven days prior to hearing. All abutters and Applicant are notified by registered mail. 
6. The Applicant or representative must be present at the Public Hearing. 

For any questions related to licensing, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 413-572-6259.