Parks & Facilities
Reserve For Events - Permit for Outdoor Areas
Permit - Use of Area form request
City parks, playgrounds, and cemeteries may be reserved for events. In order to make a reservation, please read and fill out the and drop it off or mail it to the department you will need to attend a commission meeting for approval. Every year and returning events now need approval by the commission at a meeting.
NOTE: In some cases, a $ 50.00 deposit is required “where applicable” for events (determined by the commission pending approval of the application). After the event - if the area/facility used is in good standing, the $ 50.00 deposit will be returned by mail and processed through the city.
Commission meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of the month at 6:00 p.m. If a holiday could change.
Please call the office at 572-6263 to get your name (s) and group listed and posted on the Agenda well in advance a month or two before your desired event date to reserve is recommended. You must be listed on the monthly Agenda before attending a meeting for a permit request Once approved by the commission meeting agenda date you will receive a copy of the approved permit from the department signed. A list of areas is listed on the permit-Use of area form at top of this page.
Please keep in mind that once approved by the Commission, for larger events, the Police Department receives a copy of the permit and they have the authority to charge the permittee a fee on their own for traffic control and safety.
There are no vehicles or trailers allowed to park on any park or fields due to irrigation heads and the safety of the public. If you are requesting Park Square or the Pavilion- You will need to unload by the Black Bollard and then remove your vehicle and trailer to another close by the parking lot. And the same when unloading after the event. In other words "No Vehicles or Trailers" are allowed to be parked at Park Square during any and all events.
The Police department will enforce a no-parking citation to anyone that cannot follow these rules.
For those of you, that reserve Whitney Playground-it is your responsibility to Inform everyone to enter through Shepard Street over the hill and Exit out on Sackett Street Follow the road slowly! DO NOT go back out on Shepard Street a One Way Street. Please drive slowly as you enter and exit the area. Thank you and drive safe!
Permittees' responsibility-listed on the form when you sign the original copy.
By signing the permit below, you, the Permittee, agree to comply with the Guidelines for use on the back of this form. You agree to assume direct responsibility for acts of vandalism or damage to the area, facility, or existing equipment during the time an area is made available for use. You agree to clean up all rubbish or debris caused by your use of the area. You also agree to be liable for all damage or injury to property or persons that may occur or be caused by the use of the permit and agree to save the City of Westfield and the Department harmless from any claim whatsoever which may result from such use. And you agree to pay the Police department for large events a fee if they contact you to offer staff for the safety of the public. They receive a copy of the approved permit for large events.
City of Westfield Parks and Recreation Department-4 Holcomb Street-Westfield, MA 01085-Office 572-6263
Permit Guidelines for Use of Parks and Playgrounds and City Ordinances
Eligibility - Westfield organizations, associations, sports organizations, or individuals are eligible if they:
1. Provide services that include Westfield residents.
2. Can demonstrate benefits to the citizens of Westfield.
Rules and Regulations
- Those who wish to reserve an area under the jurisdiction or management of the Department must obtain and complete an application. If an individual is applying for a permit on behalf of a group or athletic league, the Permittee must so designate the application. Only one individual may apply for a permit per group or athletic league.
- The permittee must confine activities to the locations and times specified on the permit.
- The permittee shall remain subject to the Rules of the Department, the specific terms of the permit, and all rules, regulations, and laws of all City, State, and Federal departments insofar as applicable.
- The permittee must clean and restore the premises after each session.
- Pamphlets, handbills, signs, or advertising material of any kind may not be posted, placed, or distributed on premises unless the department grants written permission.
- The permittee is liable for all damage or injury to property or persons that may occur or be caused by the use of the permit, and by accepting the permit the permittee agrees to save the City of Westfield and the Department harmless from any claim whatsoever which may result from such use.
- The permit is not transferable.
- The maximum reserved time is five months.
- The following are not permitted on any park or playground property:
No fires or grills.
No admission may be charged.
No person shall possess, drink, or consume any alcoholic beverage or any malt beverage upon any school, parks, or playgrounds property of the city.
No possession or ignition of fireworks, rockets, or sparklers.
No tents or stakes driven into playing areas without permission.
No fake flower petals, rice or other items may be thrown in or around fountains, rivers, or other water bodies and must be picked up from all other areas.
No motor vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, go-carts, mini-bikes, snowmobiles, ATV’s or similar items shall be used in public parks.
No person shall play or practice golf in a public park.
No excessively loud music.
No smoking is allowed in city parks or playgrounds per the Free Clean Air Act ordinance. The ordinance gives non-criminal enforcement authority to the Westfield Police Department and Health department. Violations are subject to fines.
- The department reserves the right to prohibit use if areas are deteriorating because of overuse.
- All domestic animals must be on a leash (not exceeding six (6) feet in length) and controlled by the owner at all times. Owners shall remove all animal fecal discharges from the park property immediately.
- Refreshment stands or concessions will be operated only with the approval of the Health Department and the Parks and Recreation Department.
- All persons in charge of a group using the areas will be responsible for the conduct of all participants, spectators, and others connected with the activity, including visiting teams and opponents.
- All groups are responsible for policing the area used and the placing of litter in receptacles.
- Persons shall comply with all lawfully posted signs.
- There will be no construction, modification, or physical changes to any field or facility unless specific permission is received from the Parks and Recreation Commission.
- Park/Playground hours are dawn to dusk. Unless the area is lighted for night play then hours are until 10:45 PM.
- For those of you who reserve Whitney Playground- Inform everyone to enter through Shepard Street over the hill and Exit out on Sackett Street Follow the road. DO NOT go back out on Shepard Street a One Way Street.
- The Police department has the right to contact the 'Permittee" to charge them a fee for additional staff and safety of the large event.
- NOTE: A $ 50.00 deposit is required “where applicable” for events (determined by the commission pending approval of the application). After the event - if the area/facility used is in good standing, the $ 50.00 deposit will be returned by mail and processed through the city.